Other Services

Thomas Consulting can provide the necessary reassurance that you are complying with the Party Wall Act, 1996, or advise you if the Act is not being complied with.

When does the Party Wall Act apply?

The Party Wall Act 1996 may apply if you intend to carry out building work which involves:

If you are carrying out work of the above nature you must find out whether or not that work falls within the requirements of the Act. If it does you must notify your neighbour.

If you are a neighbour who has not been notified of such works you may want to ensure your property is properly protected in accordance with the requirements of the Act.

Problems with party walls

Problems often arise where excavations are carried out without due regard of a neighbouring building. Excavation work includes installing piles as well as digging holes. If you are planning building work that may fall within the Party Wall Act it is essential that you take advice at an early stage of design. Failure to take appropriate action can lead to frustrating and costly delays. We can advise on whether or not the appropriate actions are being taken to protect neighbouring buildings.

See also:
Government advice leaflet regarding party wall issues